Archie the Robot features two pre-school children, siblings Ollie and Millie along with their five-year-old indigenous neighbour Jarrah, living in a suburban community whereby a significant amount of their life involves technology. While playing outdoors together, the children find a motionless robot, Archie, lying in the grass. Wishing to ‘wake up’ Archie and play with him, the children learn from their parents that robots need batteries to come to life, can have bugs in their software and need instructions to make them work. Introducing them to the exciting world of coding and unlimited possibilities.
Notes to Parents & Teachers
When Sam and Hugh set about creating Archie the Robot, they wanted children to become comfortable with robots and coding in their lives at an age-appropriate level. Knowing that coding has become the literacy of the 21st century and countries are measured by their digital competitiveness, they felt it important to help children develop these important skills. Archie the Robot is a fun educational book written utilizing a learning and developmental framework that covers areas such as:
- Develop confidence in nature involving open-ended, enquiry-based play and self-discovery
- Recognise diversity and equality
- Develop a strong sense of identity
- Engage parents and friends with learning
- Feel connected with and contribute to their world
- Develop a strong sense of wellbeing
- Become confident and involved learners
- Develop effective communication skills that express emotion, build relationships, incorporate social inclusion, and engagement with culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- Help reverse the digital divide in indigenous communities and increase the engagement of girls in coding
- What did you like about the story?
- What was your favourite part? Why?
- What do you like doing in the garden?
- What did you like about Archie?
- What was meant when Ollie asked if Archie had a bug
- If you had Archie as a friend, what would you like to do with him?
- What did Millie, Ollie and Jarrah learn about robots?
- What made Jarrah a good friend