Teaching Science from Foundation to Year 12
In this ground-breaking book science education is explored as a learning continuum across all years of schooling from Foundation to Year 12. The expert authors, members of Monash University's Science Education Research Group, seek to build pedagogical and content expertise by providing both a level of support and challenge for all teachers based on current research and best practice.
The text considers key issues including: what the learner brings to the science classroom; what primary and secondary teachers can learn from each other; the constructivist perspective and its value in learning science; context-based science education; the structure of the Australian curriculum and science education policy; teacher identity; the nature of scientific knowledge; principles of assessment and understanding the role of ICT in science teaching and learning.
Featuring case studies and practical examples in each chapter, this book provides pre-service teachers with the understanding and tools to ensure their students are engaged and inspired in science education throughout their school years.
Table of Contents
Part I Science and the Learner
1. Becoming a Teacher of Science by Angela Fitzgerald and Deborah Corrigan
2. What the Learner Brings by Kathy Smith and Angela Fitzgerald
3. The Role of Context and Relevance by Deborah Corrigan and Angela Fitzgerald
Part II Understanding Science
4. The Science Curriculum by Deborah Corrigan and Karen Marangio
5. The Nature of Science by Kathy Smith, Deborah Corrigan and Jennifer Mansfield
6. Science Investigations by Deborah Corrigan, Angela Fitzgerald and Gillian Kidman
Part III Pedagogy and Assessment
7. Assessment for Student and Teacher Learning by Debra Panizzon and Stephen Keast.
8. Pedagogical Content Knowledge by John Loughran
Part IV New Approaches in Teaching and Teacher Development
9. Transitioning into Professional Practice by Rebecca Cooper and Kathy Smith
10. Science Education in Informal Settings by Alan Reid and Ben Liu
11. Science and STEM Education by Deborah Corrigan and Greg Lancaster