Secondary Social-Emotional Empowerment Pack
$350.95 inc GST $319.05 ex GST
“When students have voice and choice, they gain control over their learning and their actions and feel empowered to work harder and achieve more” — that’s the premise behind Patti Drapeau’s Inspiring Student Empowerment. Help your students find their voice and use it with pride with this pack.
What Do You Stand For? For Teens
- Young people need guidance from caring adults to build strong, positive character traits—but they can also build their own. This book invites children and teens to explore and practice honesty, kindness, empathy, integrity, tolerance, patience, respect, and more. Quotations and background information set the stage. Dilemmas challenge readers to think about, discuss, and debate positive traits. Activities invite them to explore what they stand for at school, at home, and in their communities. True stories profile real kids who exemplify positive traits; resources point the way toward character-building books, organizations, programs, and websites.
Inspiring Student Empowerment
Student engagement continues to be an important goal for teachers, but it shouldn’t end there. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to teaching anymore. School districts that have begun to shift their focus from student engagement to student empowerment, and from differentiation to personalized learning, have seen a rise in test scores, motivation, attention, and self-confidence.
When students have voice and choice, they gain control over their learning and their actions and feel empowered to work harder and achieve more. Through sample lessons, strategies, and applications, educators will learn how to shift from engagement to student empowerment, from differentiation to personalized learning, and practical ways to make these strategies work in the classroom.
Move from engagement to student empowerment with:
- A comprehensive guide to engaged learning
- A comprehensive guide to empowerment
- Research-based best practices to promote empowerment
Move from differentiation to personalized learning with:
- A comprehensive guide to refining differentiation practices
- A comprehensive guide to personalized learning
- Practical ways to use voice and choice, instructional design, and classroom climate to promote student empowerment
- An entire chapter dedicated to the social and emotional learning side of personalized learning
Positive Self-Identity for the Successful Teenage Learner
- Using a narrative approach, teenagers are challenged to learn about themselves, about each other and about how to take control of their lives. The learning is presented in a series of lessons with comprehensive facilitator instructions and materials designed to engage teenagers in both group and individual activities. A story and characters provide a full range of emotions, from the overwhelming feelings of angst and anger to empathy, friendship support and happiness. The material complements the secondary SEAL agenda. A comprehensive guide will help the facilitator to capture the student’s emotional world and turn their energies into meaningful and constructive projects. It also provides students with tools to practice and develop their emotional and social intelligence.
Activities to Help Young People Build Character
- Focus on character building with these activities which cover:
- Target setting
- Learning character/ behaviour
- Assessing situations
- Changing perspective
- Positive outlook
- Raising self- esteem
- Building self-endurance
- Personal gains
- Personality test
- Overcoming weaknesses and building strengths
- Removing barriers