The Validation Breakthrough
$102.95 inc GST $93.59 ex GST
Simple Techniques for Communicating with People with Alzheimer’s Disease
Validation is a successful way of communicating with older adults with Alzheimer’s-type dementia and responding to their challenging behaviors. The Validation method helps reduce stress, enhance dignity, and increase happiness for both the elder and the caregiver. Since its inception in 1989, Validation has helped thousands of professional and family caregivers improve their relationships with residents and loved ones with dementia by acknowledging older adults’ expressed feelings rather than focusing on disorientation and confusion.
Professionals will learn how to:
- Build relationships with residents based on empathy and compassion
- Understand and deal with challenging behaviours
- Interpret nonverbal cues to promote better communication
- Implement Validation in your own care setting through the experiences shared by Authorized Validation Organizations around the world
The Validation method is easy to learn, and positive results can be seen in both residents and caregivers. Residents express less anger and anxiety, decreasing the need for chemical and physical restraints. Residents communicate more freely and more often. Residents often move better and experience an improved sense of self-worth. Staff members express a greater sense of fulfillment at work and feel better prepared for handling difficult situations. Families visit more often. The Validation Breakthrough is an essential resource for professionals in all settings serving adults who may be confused and disoriented, including assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, hospice, home health care, adult day services, and family care settings.
NEW to this edition:
- Updated language and explanations for the Phases of Resolution
- Revised case studies reflecting contemporary settings and issues
- Restructured content for clarity and ease of use