After extensive research and the remarkable success of the developer version MiRo-E is now available to schools!
MiRo-E is a highly specified, flexible, low-cost, programmable AI robotic platform, developed to mimic familiar domestic animal-like behaviour.
- Works straight out of the box exhibiting pet-like behaviour in pastoral / demonstration mode.
- Flexible and can be used from primary school to university.
- 3rd generation MiRo has been completely re-engineered and evolved for education.
- Developed for learning robotic coding from first principles to high level.
- Easy-to-learn programming app has been specially designed.
- Simulate MiRo’s behaviour on screen using browser-based Gazebo app, this means a whole class can work on programming and only need one or two MiRo’s per classroom.
- Emotionally Engaging personality friendly and familiar.
- State of the Art Biomimetic AI technology replicates a small mammal’s behaviour.
- It has a powerful Raspberry Pi B 3+ processor incorporated and loaded with software.
- Fully programmable, serviceable and upgradeable by a user with moderate experience.
- The unique Brain Based Biomimetic Control System [3BCS] developed by Sheffield University and in Bristol Robotic Lab.
- Communicates using WiFi / Bluetooth / USB, which allows:
- Bluetooth set-up and behaviour configuration using MiRo-E smart phone App.
- WiFi gives access to higher power computing and cloud services.
- MiRo-E is trained to react to humans and each other using behaviour, sound and light. It is autonomous in demonstration / pastoral care mode. It responds to touch, stroking and sound. It is a proven flexible & useful tool for sophisticated university research. It could also potentially help with therapy for neurological conditions [from SEN to dementia].
- MiRo-E arrives with the required software loaded.
- There’s a 3D robot simulator (Gazebo) for speedy development using one MiRo-E per class.
- MiRo-E is proving to be useful as a pastoral and cognitive therapy tool for:
- Special Educational Needs in children and adults.
- High level university research looking to hack robots or do their own custom programming.
- Aged care companion robot.
- A classroom pet in early school learning [pastoral care mode].
- Primary schools using the simple-to-grasp MiRoSim interface.
- Secondary schools using Blockly, C++, Python programming languages.
- Special Educational needs.
- Research into therapy for age related issues.
- We would suggest students below age 7 interact primarily with the physical MiRo-E (to explore simple STEM, Robotics, Engineering and Programming concepts) and students older than 7 start utilising the MiRo educational interface.
- Only one MiRo-E is needed per classroom.
- As MiRo-E's interact wonderfully with each other so two or three per class is an ideal.
- The browser-based simulator interface means individual pupils can learn to code and see how the virtual MiRo-E will behave on screen before they download to the physical robot.
- MiRo-E comes with a rechargeable battery pack and inline charger.
- The battery life varies with usage, but it is approximately 6+ hours active and 12+ hours standby.
- MiRo-E, with the right know-how and programming, could be manipulated by advanced users to perform a wide range of custom functions:
- Stereo HD vision could be programmed for:
Facial recognition and analysis of mood and body language
Optical navigation using objects and ceiling for reference points
User-programmed applications for the quad microphones might include:
Acoustic mapping to understand where sounds are coming from
Respond to ambient noise so behaviour reacts to it
Obey certain voice commands
Analysis of voice detecting abnormal stress or excitement.
- WiFi /Bluetooth/USB then could give access to:
Higher power computing for more sophisticated tasks such as SLAM navigation and sophisticated facial recognition analysis
Operation in remote environments for security and surveying
Cloud services such as Alexa, Siri and Google
The only constraint is your skill and imagination!
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
MiRoCODE Blockly Example
MiRo E Evolved for Education
MiRo is an animal-like advanced robot designed to help student...
MiRo robot Fall Assistance
MiRO robot Fall Assistance project. Internship project impleme...
MiRoCODE Demo: Call the Ambulance
This demonstration program turns MiRo into a spinning ambulanc...
MiRoCODE Demo: Cheer MiRo Up
This demonstration program gives MiRo some emotions! It correl...